United States, Bridgewater, NJ, Adhesive Technologies
Product Development Scientist (Packaging Coatings)
HENKEL IS FOR THOSE WHO STEP UP. DO YOU?
At Henkel, you can make a difference and craft your career. That’s why you own your projects and take full responsibility from an early stage. Our unique brands in markets around the world open up countless opportunities to follow your convictions and explore new paths. If you have an entrepreneurial mindset that allows you to always think out of the box - take the chance and shape the digital future together with us.
- The Product Development Scientist is responsible for the development of solvent-based, water-based heat seal lacquers, cold seals, functional coatings, primers, overprint varnishes and other functional coatings used in the food packaging industry.
- Develop differentiated solutions to specific product, market, and customer needs; develop and apply advanced predictive test methods.
- Lead development projects independently plan experimental design, conduct and organize lab work and testing as needed.
- Present effectively and work across internal functions of sales, marketing, regulatory, and manufacturing to bring newly developed products and solutions from prototype to commercialization.
- Establish good relationships and communicate effectively across internal functions and with external customers.
- Understand pertinent patent and scientific literature within relevant technical areas; utilize internal and external knowledge management tools for new patents or technology search.
- Develop capabilities in analyzing and understanding the implications of prior art and competitive technology.
- Understand important regulatory requirements affecting existing technology and markets.
- Travel to internal and customer locations for technical support, product introduction, line trials as required (approximately 10%).
- Masters degree in polymer science, chemical engineering or chemistry is required. PhD is preferred.
- 5+ years relevant industrial experience, with knowledge of polyesters, acrylates, emulsions, heat and cold seal adhesives or energy curing systems is required.
- Familiarity with coating application/technologies and coating knowledge is a plus.
- Experience in direct supply to flexible packaging convertors or experience with raw material development and supply is a plus.
- Strong team working spirit and proven ability to collaborate with and influence others.
- Track record of technical capabilities evidenced by invention disclosures/patents/journal paper/new product development.
- Solid knowledge of organic chemistry and/or polymer science with an understanding of the relationship between chemical structure and physical properties.
Henkel is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and other legally protected characteristics.
Henkel does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Unsolicited referrals and resumes are considered Henkel property and therefore, Henkel will not pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited referral. At Henkel’s request only, preferred vendors may be invited to refer talent for specific open positions. In these cases, a fully-executed agreement with Henkel must be in place and current.
All employees applying for an internal position must have a discussion with his/her manager about their interest in a job posting opportunity. The discussion will not preclude the employee from interviewing if their skills meet the job requirements.