Whether you are leading a team or not, you have the power to change things and improve collaboration, innovation power and shape the company culture. The Leadership Commitments will support you in all these aspects.
Henkel Leadership Commitments – Leadership is everyone’s business
Why change something?
Making a difference
Our Leadership Commitments
In an increasingly challenging world, companies need a solid foundation and the flexibility to quickly react to a changing environment. Henkel is a high-performing company with successful innovations, brands and technologies and a strong presence both in mature and emerging markets. Our powerful position is the achievement of all employees worldwide, their work and dedication, following our company purpose: to create sustainable value.
Our global team has made Henkel successful in the past and is crucial for our future success. But only if everyone at Henkel is enabled to leverage her or his full potential, we will find our full strength. The foundation for a winning culture is an environment of trust, that embraces innovation and empowers decision-making. A strong leadership culture with clear commitments and guidance will help us.
“Our Leadership Commitments set high expectations when it comes to leadership, agility, and collaboration. As challenging as change might be, it also creates an opportunity to question the status quo and to improve,” explains Sylvie Nicol, Executive Vice President Human Resources & Infrastructure Services.
Leadership is everyone’s business at Henkel. We want all employees to actively shape our culture, by implementing our leadership commitments into their daily work life. This will help driving an inclusive culture. We strongly believe, that each of our more than 50,000 employees can make a difference, starting with small changes in everyday situations.
But where to start? We gave our employees a hint: We are implementing little changes by using so called leadership hacks. A hack is a shortcut, a way of cutting through an apparently complex situation with a simple and small solution.
Here are two examples:
- The hack “Monday Kick-In” is a quick stand-up meeting, where every team member shortly explains his priorities for the week in a very brief and informal way. Therewith, synergies can be used more efficiently and double work can be prevented.
- The hack “Pairing Up” can be also very powerful. Sometimes it is very helpful to obtain a different insight from a peer, who can provide a new perspective, insights or specialist knowledge that could be relevant to a project or a complex task. Furthermore, working in pairs can also strengthen and accelerate cross-team collaboration, which will enhance the company culture.
Sometimes even a small hack has the potential to drive productivity, efficiency, and fun on a large scale.
Our Leadership Commitments serve as the basis for how we work together as one team or individually. Lots of feedback from employees in different countries, from different levels and areas within the organization has helped to refine and shape Henkel’s new Leadership Commitments. Now it’s up to all of us to bring them to life. Let’s shape tomorrow together!
These are the Leadership Commitments
We act as entrepreneurs
We dare to take risks to shape exciting business opportunities.
We are committed to drive innovations and day-to-day improvements.
We encourage a culture of timely and clear decision making.
+ Anticipate future trends and customer needs faster than the market.
+ Be proactive, stand behind ideas and fight for them.
+ Be fast in experimenting, then scale up or let go.
- See innovation as the job of the innovation teams.
- Take risks that could harm Henkel or our stakeholders.
- Be afraid to make mistakes and take ownership for them.
We collaborate as strong teams
We always act as one team in the best interest of Henkel.
We collaborate based on trust and transparency.
We value diversity, curiosity and open-mindedness.
+ Strive to make others successful.
+ Create an environment of trust, excitement and fun.
+ Share learnings and best practices from inside and outside Henkel.
- Ignore the big picture for Henkel and its stakeholders.
- Micromanage and control everything.
- Be stubborn and reluctant to change your mind.
We develop people with passion
We take responsibility to build and develop the best team.
We challenge and recognize our people.
We give and take feedback and learn continuously.
+ Act as talent scouts to attract the best people for Henkel.
+ Offer opportunities for people to make a difference and get recognised.
+ Take responsibility and time for learning and sharing.
- Hide talent within your own organisation.
- Create unnecessary pressure for others.
- Give negative feedback without helping others to improve.
We own our results
We create the best solutions for our customers.
We take hands-on responsibility to achieve ambitious goals.
We keep our promises and commitments.
+ Understand the needs of our customers and markets to create high-value solutions.
+ Adapt quickly to changing environments and act accordingly.
+ Search for answers when confronted with a problem.
- Create bureaucracy but foster results.
- Shy away from conflicts.
- Give up short-term results while striving for long-term success.